Chindit Awards - Distinguished Conduct Medal

HomeMilitary AwardsAwardeesDCM

Sergeant Aubrey Hough MM

[Transcript of Recommendation of Award]

Distinguished Conduct Medal - Chindits Awards


14th Infantry


3rd Indian


1st Bn The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment

Date of

18 August 1944

Regtl. No.


Rank and Name

Sergeant Aubrey Hough

Action for which recommended -

Sjt Hough has been a mortar detachment commander since 1940, serving with 1/Bedfs Herts R Throughout.

Since the commencement of these operations he has commanded 61 Column's three inch mortar detachment. Though frequently handicapped by malarial attacks he has never neglected his duty or failed to maintain an exceedingly high standard of discipline and cheerfulness in his command.

At ZIGON on 24 May 1944, the leading platoon of the Column made contact with the Japanese garrison. Within a very few minutes mortars were in action, their fire being directed by Sjt Hough by walkie-talkie. In order to do this he had run forward to the leading platoon commander and asking for one man as escort moved to a small eminence in front of the platoon. The promptness and effectiveness of this well directed mortar fire assisted considerably in dealing with the Jap garrison later on.

Subsequently, on 25 May 1944 61 Coln was ordered to take over the blocks on the KYUSANLAI PASS. The 3" mortars were distributed among each block in order to produce the maximum and most effectual mutual supporting fire. These mortar positions were connected by 'sound-power' and 'infantry assault cable'. This cable frequently broke. Owing to sickness there was a great shortage of mortar personnel. Sjt Houg carried out all repairs himself. He never failed to visit each detachment twice daily or liaise daily with each block commander though in order to do this it was necessary for him to use the main track which had been ambushed by the Japs in between blocks, and was occasionally sniped.

During the attacks on Pt.2171 near MOGAUNG by 16 and 61 Columns between 5 - 8 August 1944 it was decided to have direct air support brought down on the Jap bunkers. In order to do this Sjt Hough worked his way through the wire to a position from which he could identify the strongpoints. He had two men with him as escort and took a telephone and cable with the object of thus correcting the mortar fire in order that accurate smoke indication should be put down on the approach of our aircraft.

While ranging his mortars the Japs heard his fire control orders. At first they merely sniped at him but when they realised the object of his task they sent a party to cut him off. Sjt Hough ignored this party and continued to direct the mortar fire. It was not until he was thoroughly satisfied that his mortar indication was 'fixed' that he left his perilous position. By this time the Japs were so close and their fire so accurate that he was forced to leave behind his telephone.

On the approach of the aircraft our troops were withdrawn 200 yards from the enemy perimeter so as to avoid casualties from our own bombs. Sjt Hough was seen to move forward. It was only when he was given a direct order that he was not to return to his O.P. (which was within the enemy perimeter) that he reluctantly relied on his previous 'fix'.

That evening it was discovered that Sjt Hough had a temperature of 104 degrees, which he had had for 36 hours, but which he had concealed in order that he should not be prevented from participating in the attack.

Throughout the campaign Sjt Hough displayed great personal bravery, disregard of danger and devotion to duty of an exceptional standard. Furthermore, his efficiency inspired an amazing degree of confidence among troops whom he was 'supporting'.

All ranks, without exception, place the highest faith in Sjt Hough himself and his well-trained command.

Recommended By

(Signed) T.J.Barrow, Lieut.Col.

(Signed) T. Brodie, Brig.

Honour or Reward

Distinguished Conduct Medal

Signed By

Major General W.D.A. Lentaigne
Comd. Special Force

General G. Giffard
Commander-in-Chief 11 Army Group

((London Gazette 26.04.45)